The IT Center of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is responsible for operations, development and maintenance of the IT infrastructure. Our goal is to provide modern, cutting-edge electronic services to the academic community of AUTH.
The fundamental responsibilities of the IT Center are:
- Wired and wireless broadband connection among computers at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, and Internet connectivity
- Virtual server infrastructure and storage
- Computer labs and administration of the Central Computer Lab at the main Library Building
- Identity management, Directory Services, Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), webpage hosting , central computer backup
- Student and Faculty Information Systems
- Supporting the national Textbooks services EVDOXOS and Student ID services (PASO)
- Learning Management Systems
- Basic network services (AUTH e-mail, personal webpages, WiFi, personal digital certificates)
- Advanced network services, such as Voice over IP, video broadcast, video conferencing
- Software distribution
- Management and supervision of the main Computer Lab of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, located in the Central Library building
- Access to central computer systems
- Monitoring of equipment maintenance contracts
- Providing support to the Administration of the University with regards to quality assurance issues, statistical reports, internal evaluations, etc.
- Advanced digital telephony services and voice-mail
- Administration of the dedicated e-learning/video conferencing rooms of the University
- Providing scientific computing services at an institutional, national and international level
- Developing and administering the operation of computing infrastructure and tools for scientific data management and applications
- Informing, training and supporting users with regard to the use of scientific applications and scientific data management
- Ensuring interconnection and interoperation with larger scale national and international infrastructure
- Equipment lending (projectors, laptops, etc.)
Educational activities / seminars.
The personnel of the IT Center consist mostly of IT, electrical, computer and communication engineers and scientists (full-time and part-time employees) and undergraduate students (trainees or part-time employees). The Center is funded by the regular budget of the Aristotle University, the Research Committee, European Union programmes, as well as projects regarding the provision of services to third parties of the Greek academic community.
The IT Center is composed of 4 departments whose operation is coordinated by the Technical Director and their supervisors. All work is overseen by the Steering Committee for e-Governance. Each department is responsible for one of the four main activity areas:
- Administration and Support
- Network Infrastructure
- Computing Infrastructure
The IT Center evolved through the merge of 4 legacy ICT centers, namely the Network Operations Center, the Information Technology Center, the Telecommunications Center and the Scientific Computing Center under the decision of the AUTH Senate on 4th of July 2012.